Sunday, November 18, 2012

C4T #4

Post #1
I was assigned a teacher named Amanda Ooten and it's been awhile since she lasted updated her blog due to the amount of work she has to do. She written a blog post called Science Teaching for the Future and she explains how she enjoyed flipping her Honor Biology classes and is teaching her student teachers the reasoning behind flipping the classroom. Mrs. Ooten is a member of her school technology committee and is trying to look for funding for a pilot program of Google Chromebooks in her classroom. She also enjoys getting email from students who read her blogs. She explains how she tries to flip her AP Biology class but the amount of content and the pace made it nearly impossible. Some of her videos she had on YouTube have been removed due to a noticed from Pearson that they were violating copyright laws by posting images of the videos but she's in the process of appealing it.

My comment:
Hi, my named is Shannon and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I also think that it is important to flip the classroom to help your students. I'm glad I got the opportunity to read this post.

P.S. I hope you were able to find funding for the pilot program :)

Post #2
Amanda Ooten has not updated her blog yet so I had to read the one before post #1. Her previous blog post was called My Classroom Flipped, Part 2. She explains that she flipped her Advanced Placement Biology class and they suffered a bit for about 3 weeks and she felt like the worst teacher in the world. The students were not able to keep up the pace for the assignment she assigned and wasn't learning the material. But she found a way to solve the problem by during a few lectures instead of the students going home and doing the assignments. They still were able to watch videos and do class discussions. She tries to challenge the students by asking probing questions, forcing them to make connections with the previous chapters and put them in group during the lectures to discuss ideas with one another. With this change there was more energy in the classrooms. I flipping the classroom is a good idea because even though the students are giving work to do at home, you should still have a lecture to see what the students are actually learning. It also gives the teacher an idea on who needs help.

My comment:

Hi my name is Shannon Watson and I'm a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I have read a lot about flipping the classrooms and the more I read about it, the most I agree that it is a good idea and very helpful. I glad to hear that your Advanced Placement Biology is adjusting well to flipping the classroom!



1 comment:

  1. "She written a blog.." wrote or has written, not written
    "The students were not able to keep up the pace for the assignment she assigned and wasn't learning the material." weren't, not wasn't
    "...solve the problem by during a few lectures..." doing, not during
    "...I flipping the classroom is a good idea..." Something is missing
    "...even though the students are giving work to do at home,..." given, not giving
    That's five.

    "you should still have a lecture to see what the students are actually learning. " The lecture allows you to determine what the students are learning? Nonsense. A lecture is a delivery mechanism, not an evaluative one. unless the students give the lectures. That might be a good idea, but I do not think that is what you meant.

    There are three additional writing mistakes in the first paragraph. After five your post becomes unsatisfactory.

    ReplyDelete