Sunday, November 18, 2012

Blog post #12




When I was thinking about this assignment I wanted to do it on something that was important to me and could help me in my teaching career. I know I would have to deal with special needs students and I wanted to find a way to help them learn as well as other students. From my assignment I want you to think about how using the TAPit could help you in your classrooms. TAPit is the first ADA compliant interactive learning station designed to recognize the difference between an arm resting upon the screen and a finger or assistive device intentionally tapping an image.


  • Watch this video: Language Skills with TAPit and write a paragraph about how using the TAPit can help students learn. Would you use this piece of technology in your classroom?
  • At Apollo Ridge Elementary School in Spring Church, Pennslyvania they are using the TAPit to help special needs students. Write a paragraph on your reaction to this video: TAPit helps with physical therapy. Do you think this is a good and efficient way for teaching special needs students?


When I watched the Language Skills with TAPit video I thought that it was a good thing. It reminded me of the smartboard and it allows the student to go up to this device and play around with it. During the video you saw students going up to the board tracing the letters with their finger which helps them get an idea of how to write the letter. They are able to learn and have fun at the same time. Using the TAPit helps expand vocabulary, help them learn their numbers and names to different pictures. They are able to more the images around on the board. It also help the shy students come out of their shells and communicate with the other children and all the children are able to participate.

When I watched the TAPit helps with physical therapy, my heart melted from watching a students who lost interest in doing things because of his disability to reach things and when he used the TAPit, he seem to really enjoying it. You notice that he uses a ball to help him move the words around on the TAPit board and according to the video, he is more interesting in the TAPit because he is able to reach it and with all the colors and images it makes him want to learn. They are still trying to get him ready for doing desk top work but using the TAPit is helping prepare him for it. I do think this is a good and efficient way because it's an easy process and I believe the more fun you have using the TAPit, the more the child will want to learn.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Shannon,
    Really good post and a great idea to apply the course to what you want to teach. I have never heard of the TAPit system, but I have substitute taught in vocational programs and love the applications that were shown in the two videos. I did notice a few times puzzling word choices like "he is more interesting in the TAPit because he is able to reach it and with all the colors and images it makes him want to learn." I think that interested would be a better tense choice than interesting. A well written post with no grammar errors I could find. Good luck in your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete