Saturday, November 10, 2012

Blog post #11




After watching Ms. Cassidy's video, Little Kids...Big Potential and her skype video, I understand how important technology really this. Ms. Cassidy used many different technologies in her classroom to teach. She used the computers, Nintendo, blogs, wiki, and Skype. The first thing that came to mind was, how was she able to monitor all these first graders with these technologies?. I was really impress with how the kids reacted to everything.


It's amazing to see first graders write blogs and using wiki to search for information. I thought to myself, I don't even remember using the computer a lot in first grade. Out of all of the technology that Ms. Cassidy use in her classroom, I thought I would mostly like to use blogs in my classroom. By using the blogs the students are learning writing skills and how to communicate with others by receiving comments on their blog posts. One of the students states how you're supposed to say positive things while commenting on someone's post. I feel that blogs will help them become better writers and allow them to put out there own ideas. Also, it will be good for them to get feedback from family members, friends, and other kids their age. From watching the video I can see that they really enjoy writing blogs and being able to post videos of what they are learning in class. One problem I see is making sure that the students are safe while using the internet. All computers should be monitored at all times and certain websites should be blocked.


From watching the skype interview by Dr. Strange, I discovered that Ms. Cassidy has been working with technology for 10 years. It all started when she received 5 computers in her classroom that were not able to download programs. Ms. Cassidy also talks about how she had support from the Technology Coordinator at her school and how the principal didn't mind her using those computer in class. For the safety of the children, Ms. Cassidy sent home forms for the parents every year making sure that they were okay with their child being online and creating blogs. I thought that was a good idea. I admire Ms. Cassidy for wanting to teach her student through technology because it is a fun way for them to learn and it's something that they enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!

    You did a great job explaining the videos, but it was a little bit difficult for me to follow. Proofreading your work, and reading it out loud could help you a lot. Also, I don't see any links in your post to connect me to the videos.

    Below I will point out a few of your grammatical errors:

    "..I understand how important technology really this"..is, not this

    "The first thing that came to mind was, how was she able to monitor all these first graders with these technologies?".. this sentence is not grammatically correct, and there needs to be an "of" before the first "these"

    "I was really impress with how the kids reacted to everything." Impressed, not impress

    "It's amazing to see first graders write blogs and using wiki to search for information" use, not using

    "...Ms. Cassidy use in her classroom, I thought.." uses, not use

    There were more errors that I can go over with you, and help you with if you would like. I think proofreading your work will help you out tremendously. Don't give up, and keep trying to improve your grammar!

    --Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon, I'm Jessica La Force. The person I was assigned to comment for this week did not have a post so I'll be commenting on yours. It was so cool to see all the technology the kids used. I can't remember using a computer either at that age unless it was to take an A.R. quiz. I think the blogs would be a fun and enlightening tool to use for the classroom too. Its teachers like Ms. Cassidy that inspires us wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,

    Sara has commented on some of the grammar errors I found in your post so I will not talk about these. Be sure to add clickable links to your post as well so that others who are not in EDM 310 can refer to what you are discussing. Ms. Cassidy is doing some amazing things in her classroom. It is almost like an experiment classroom for all of us to observe. We know for sure that it can work so why not try it? I think having blogs helps students to work on writing skills and enjoy writing.

    ReplyDelete