Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
Dr. Miller makes a statement saying we're living at the moment of the greatest change in human communicate in human community. We can now communicate globally. Dr. Miller spent his time writing and understanding writing as a solitaire activity. He was raised in a house full with book so I guess all his did was read. Dr. Miller said that a book is a printed based document. He states that where we work now is not so much with pencil, paper, and going to the library. But now we all work on laptops.Dr. Miller makes a point about how the internet allows us to work at a distance. You don't have to be in the same place with another person to communicate with them.
In part 2 video, Dr. Miller explains how our methods of research have changed. It can take a long period of time for new information to be put in our libraries On the other hand, information is being updated every day on the internet. One thing I really got out of these videos is that Dr. Miller does not want teachers to only teach through reading and writing information down. I agree with him because some students learn by interacting with other students and getting involved in activities. The used of the internet is also a way to communicate with students from different schools, states, and countries which is interesting and helpful.
All in all, Dr. Miller describes the fundamental changes that is taking place in technology today. He states how we use word processing, messaging, collaborating without seeing one another and how we get information without opening a book or visiting the library. Dr. Miller made a quote "Limits and restrictions are largely ones we place  on ourselves". We should put ourselves to keep a open mind and look beyond the obvious.

Carly Pugh
Carly wrote a blog about how students should and get interesting in teaching. Finding something engaging will get a lot of students involve. Carly presents writing with multi-media by being creative and using the resource on the web to teach. Her blog describes your goals on teaching and Carly imply Dr. Miller idea of writing multi-media. I think Carly did a great job on this post. I feel that teachers should not stick to one way of teaching and try something new every now and then. I know Dr. Miller would love to read Carly blog post ans be proud!

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies
From watching this videos, I would love to purchase the book EDM 310 for Dummies. I found myself laughing a couple of times. It took a lot of time getting use to EDM 310 class assignments and making sure everything correct and I think if I had this book at the beginning it would of really helped me. What I really learned from this class it to never give up or half do your assignments. Since I'm going to be a teacher in the future, I would want my students to try their best and not give up. The Chipper Series is about a student who dropped out of college because they thought it was too hard and time consuming. The student later became a garbage collector and from watching this video, its shows that things will not come easy. You have to try your best and work for it. I know people who went to college and dropped out there first semester because they felt that college wasn't for them and its sad.

Learn to change, Change to learn
This video is about why it is important to change our school systems.With technology constantly changing, students need to learn how to work up to it. Sticking to the same ways for years ago is not going to help students in the future. Like what Dr. Strange call the "burp back education". Students are use to writing things down and memorizing it and putting back down on paper. Now that we have technology, students need to know how to find facts and put it to good use. With the technology today, we are able to communicate with people across the country and that's what we need to be teaching out student how to.

A lot of people don't want to change the way they do things, including me. I had to change the way I got some of my resources for some of my classes. For this project in one of my classes, I had to only use books to get my information for my project and that was something I didn't like because I was used to looking it up in the internet. I didn't like the change of actually reading the books to get the information because I knew it was faster to just look up the information. My teacher was trying to show us that there were other places than the internet to get information. I had to change my whole thinking process but learned a lot from reading those books. So it is helpful to change things up in order to learn!

Animoto
Animoto is a video tool that allows you to create videos using photos, music, and video clips. Animoto offers free Animoto Plus accounts for teachers and educators to use in their classrooms. This coming be very helpful in my classroom in the future. Using Animoto is a easy process. You just upload your photos, then add you music, They also have a variety of songs to pick from. I think this will be good to use for presentation and to help student with being creative by putting together their ideas with other students. This will also introduce them to a new way for making videos instead of using YouTube.


2 comments:

  1. " ...in a house full with book..." filled, not full

    "Dr. Miller said that a book is a printed based document." I am not sure why this sentence is in your post unless you were preparing us for the change in books that Miller argues has taken place. Something like this would have conveyed a central point of his argument: Books first contained printed words, Later pictures were added. Now books are multi-media products containing text, pictures, video and audio.
    (The iBook added manipulative 3-D objects after Dr. Miller created his video). My sentences are the key to Miller's entire argument. I hope you understand that.

    "...will get a lot of students involve. " involved, not involve

    "Her blog describes your goals on teaching..." her, not your
    "... and Carly imply Dr. Miller idea of writing multi-media." I do not understand what you were trying to say.

    "I know Dr. Miller would love to read Carly blog post ans be proud!" Carly's, not Carly; and, not ans

    "From watching this videos,.." these, not this

    "making sure everything correct..." You need is before correct.

    "...would of really helped me." have, not of

    "I know people who went to college and dropped out there first semester because they felt that college wasn't for them and its sad." perhaps it was the best thing for them to do. Have you considered that?

    "Like what Dr. Strange call the "burp back education". calls, not call. Omit the.

    "...are use to writing things down and memorizing it and putting back down ..." used, not use; them, not it. To need a noun, perhaps them, after putting.

    "...find facts and put it to good use." them, not it

    "...teaching out student how to." our, not out; students, not student. In addition you need to tell us what how to refers to. Your sentence stops with how to. We are left wondering what you left out.

    Your writing needs a lot of work. Go to the Writing Lab in Alpha East. Have them notify me that you are working with them on your writing.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    Your post had a lot of corrections that need to be made as Dr. Strange pointed out. It was very hard for me to follow your blog at all. Good job on keeping up with everything but your writing needs help. This could have been a very good post if the grammar and punctuation had been correctly used.

    ReplyDelete