Friday, October 5, 2012

Blog post #6

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving your childhood dreams

In Randy Pausch  Last Lecture, he talks about his childhood dreams and all the things that he had accomplished. Pausch was given 6 months to live due to a tumor in his liver, so this was his last lecture and a very good one. Pausch wanted to let people know about his childhood dreams and that you should always follow your dreams no matter what.

 Pausch made a quote that kind of stuck with me. He stated, "When you screw up and no one says anything to you about it, then they have stopped caring". I admire him for that quote because it lets people know that you will always have interference when you're trying to achieve a goal or dream. But it is up to you to either let it affect you or not.

Pausch had some very interesting childhood dreams. His dreams were being in zero gravity, playing in the NFL, being Captain Kirk, winning stuffed animals at the fair, authoring an article in the World Book Encyclopedia, and being a Disney Imagineer. Pausch did end up achieving some of his childhood dream like being able to experience zero gravity. He never got to play in the NFL but he played football and learned some valuable lessons that help him in life. He ended up writing for the World Encyclopedia and he worked on a virtual reality program at Disney.

Pausch gave me some ideas about teaching and what I could do to encourage my student. I would encourage my students to always go after what they want in life and to never give up. I really enjoyed how he used a PowerPoint to explain his childhood dream, how he accomplished them and what he learned. During his lecture he maintained a positive and encouraging attitude and that showed me to never let stressful things get the best of me. Pausch states that, "Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things". I agree with that quotes and will implied it in my classrooms. Randy Pausch is the kind of person that people could look up to and I enjoyed his inspiring presentation and know he will always be missed.

2 comments:

  1. You kept it short. More detail on the specifics of Dr. Pausch's views on teaching would have greatly improved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your post you have a related picture of Randy Pausch and you have a couple of really good quotes from the lecture. It does however appear to me that you didn’t watch the whole video, everything you said seemed to have come from the first 10-15 minutes of the lecture. I would suggest when you have the time to go back and watch the whole video, it’s very inspiring. A couple other things I noticed about your blog was that your link didn’t work (I had trouble with that too, I ended up embedding the whole video into my post), your picture did not have working ALT and TITLE modifiers. I mostly enjoyed your last paragraph because it included your opinion.

    ReplyDelete